market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Mushrooms

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Ed Clifford" <hmdrawrod AT citlink.net>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Mushrooms
  • Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 15:58:34 -0500

Richard, Have you sold 48K lbs. @ $3-4 per? I am well aware of
profitability of mushrooms. I have been to a seminar and have met a few
mushroom growers. The chief challenge for them is not growing, but selling.
I personally can get yields of 50+K lbs of Tomatoes per acre in season. Now
if you carry that to the extreme they sell for $2 to 4 per lb. in NYC, my
market. Now not having any idea of my market and costs involved it looks
like $100K+ per acre. Reality, I'm afraid is nowhere near as kind. My
question is, Have you actually done this? And if so why let the cat out of
the bag? Most farming is hard work with every dollar earned through sweat
and blood.
Now I'm not saying it can't be done, but you must have some pretty
amazing marketing skills. That's what I'd like you to share. Anyone can grow
mushrooms or any other produce, it's getting top dollar that separates the
hobbyists from the professionals.
Ed Clifford