market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Mushrooms

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "jay gee" <jgj23 AT mindspring.com>
  • To: "market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Mushrooms
  • Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 12:12:31 -0800 (PST)

Bob at Sunnfarm in New Jersey wrote:

> [...]
there are more mushroom farms in the southern end of the county than anywhere
else
in the country. The pungent aroma of mushroom compost is everywere. Stop in
and
ask questions it beats reading books about it.

Prices for 10 pound qty's this week were $14-15 for regular mushrooms, $32
for
Oysters, $18 for portabellas and $40 for shiitake...
<<<<

It sounds like there is an oversupply of mushrooms in Chester
County, PA., based on the prices Bob quotes, compared to
what others say they are getting for product.

Though Liz may be pulling our collective legs about
her "hate" for mushrooms [ ;-) -- it seems that many
people, me included, do not like mushrooms.

If the local market for mushrooms is thin, getting more
than one or two producers in an area could be suicidal
when it comes to preserving profitable pricing.

Jay Gee
not a farmer - but interested in farming