internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Raleigh needs a facelift

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Mark Turner <jmarkturner AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Raleigh needs a facelift
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 16:12:58 -0400

I respectfully disgree, Tom. I don't think Raleigh's leaders really care if we're considered a "big city." It seems to me the focus is more on quality of life. Raleigh's racked up a number of national "best-of" awards lately and none of them are for population.

Can the city do better? Sure. It's getting there. Things don't move as quickly as I want them to, but overall I'm satisfied with the direction of the city.

As for Richmond, yes it has a lot of amenities, but then again it's got a much longer history as a regional destination. It also has miserable traffic problems, more crime, and quite a bit of urban blight. No thanks.

To each his own, I guess!

Mark

P.S. Tanner, how does Raleigh have any say about toll roads? You can thank the state legislators for that.

Tom Caswell wrote:
My position is subjective, as is everyone's. If Raleigh makes a subset of humanity happy, more power to them. Personally, I can't look at the local culture anymore without reflexively comparing them to others I've known. I'm from Richmond VA - I can rattle off comparisons between the items you've listed below and much better examples there without really trying.