internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Raleigh needs a facelift

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Greg Brown <gwbrown1 AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Raleigh needs a facelift
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 15:21:36 -0400

I get more exposure to the arts in Durham, Chatham and Orange counties than I ever did in Wake.

On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 3:00 PM, Tom Caswell <derpimpkar AT yahoo.com> wrote:
You're going to get me started but I'll offer the following summary.

Raleigh is focused on one thing, population growth.  I really believe this city is soulless, on the whole.  There are pockets that shine but overall there is no personality.  I think this article summed it up for me:

Who considers Minneapolis without considering St. Paul?  It's the twin cities for a reason.  The councilman quoted in the article says Raleigh now has an identity because they have a big enough population on their own.  When was 400k big?  What about schools, parks, art, music?  I'm tired of explaining year round schools to out of state friends because we'll consider letting developers build on watersheds instead of bringing the infrastructure and culture with the housing.  Kills me.

Tom