internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Are You Registered To Vote At Your CurrentAddress? Register Online!

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Tanner Lovelace" <clubjuggler AT gmail.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Are You Registered To Vote At Your CurrentAddress? Register Online!
  • Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2008 14:04:25 -0400

On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 12:32 PM, David Minton <dminton AT mindspring.com> wrote:

> I really like the optical scan ballots as well (I live in Durham). That they
> allow for automated scoring, and have a paper backup that are one in the
> same is the best I think there can be. Touch screen devices scare me.
>
> Other than forgetting to flip them over (they are two sided if I recall), I
> am not sure what a reasonable person could do wrong, if they read the
> instructions. Maybe this is bad for me to say, but they are so easy to use,
> if you can't figure them out (with help from the poll workers), maybe you
> shouldn't be voting?

Note, btw, that if people really want to use a touch screen device, we
can accommodate that too. Each polling place has a device that all you
do is just insert your optical scan ballot in it, then you go through the
screens and make your votes that way, then the device records your
votes on the optical scan ballot. You then take the ballot over to the
normal machine and put it in just like every other ballot. As one of the
Durham BOE officials described it, the machine is essentially a big
pencil. :-) But, if you really prefer a touchscreen interface, there you go.
(It is good, btw, for blind people as it will allow them to vote without
help by having it read off the races while the screen is turned off.)

Cheers,
Tanner

--
Tanner Lovelace