internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Are You Registered To Vote At Your CurrentAddress? Register Online!

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Tanner Lovelace" <clubjuggler AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Are You Registered To Vote At Your CurrentAddress? Register Online!
  • Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2008 14:02:07 -0400

On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 12:17 PM, David Minton <dminton AT mindspring.com> wrote:
> While not intentional, there was that very public "oops" in NC in 2004 for
> which votes were not "counted accurately:"
>
> "More than 4,500 North Carolina votes lost because of mistake in voting
> machine capacity"
>
> <http://www.usatoday.com/news/politicselections/vote2004/2004-11-04-votes-lo
> st_x.htm>
>
> If I recall, at least one state-wide office was decided by a few hundred
> votes, and might have had a different outcome if those votes had not been
> lost.
>
> David

Excellent point, David! And, one that I had actually forgotten about.
One good thing, though, that came out of this debacle was that it
really drove home the point that paperless balloting systems are
just problems waiting to happen. That's one of the reasons I really like
the optical scan ballots that they use in Durham County. An error like
that simply couldn't happen because if it did you'd just go back to the
original ballots and count them by hand.

Cheers,
Tanner

--
Tanner Lovelace