internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Are You Registered To Vote AtYourCurrentAddress? Register Online!

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Tanner Lovelace" <clubjuggler AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Are You Registered To Vote AtYourCurrentAddress? Register Online!
  • Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2008 14:35:05 -0400

On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 12:58 PM, S B <merlin180 AT hotmail.com> wrote:

> oh, not my intention but I see what you mean - No, just a general comment
> since federal election 'issues' in any state can potentially have a direct
> impact in the other states.
> I keep forgetting that IIRC the presidential election is not a direct vote,
> but a state level vote to suggest how the state, in the form of the
> electoral college electors, should vote.

Good point. And, I definitely agree that there are states where there
are serious problems and unfortunately potential for problems. The fact
that all elections are local (even in NC, it's not really a state-wide
election, but many different county elections) can be both a good and bad
thing. Bad in that you have that many standards to deal with but good
in that in order to change an election you can't just do it at one source.
(Although, the number of places that would need to be "fixed" is likely
to be smaller than people would think, unfortunately.)

[...]

> I found it interesting from the technical perspective as well as seeing what
> issues might arise even if the specifics don't apply in NC

Yeah, there are definitely some voting systems out there where the potential
to cause problems is more than it should be. Even here in NC there can be
problems as David so aptly pointed out.

> I call it "healthy concern" :)

Definitely a good thing to have. :-) It definitely sounds like we're
on the same
page then.

Cheers,
Tanner
P.S. And, I'll plug being an election official once more. This November,
more than ever, local boards of election will need your help so if you have
any interest at all, please get in contact with them and volunteer your
time. For an election assistant, the only time commitment is one training
class, setup the night before (and even that can be negotiable) and all
day at the polls (and some polling places will even let you work a half day).
Democracy only works if we work at it. Ok, I'll shut up now. :)
--
Tanner Lovelace
http://wtl.wayfarer.org/