internetworkers - experience networking at home with cable modem?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "David B. Wagoner" <dbwagoner AT yahoo.com>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: experience networking at home with cable modem?
  • Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 21:45:29 -0400

If any of you have experience setting up a home network with cable modem access I'd appreciate learning from your experience.

I'll be getting RoadRunner cable access this week and want to connect a desktop and a laptop, perhaps another desktop later.  A friend is using a LinkSys Cable/DSL 4-port router to share the single IP address among three computers and it seems to work fine.  Also, this circumvents the extra $10/month Time Warner wants for each additional IP address.  What I don't know is if it's possible to have network sharing of files and printers through this router.  And, is the router necessary or should I just use network cards and Win98 to network the desktop to the laptop?  How would Win98 handle the shared IP address?

Tips will be much appreciated.

david

David Wagoner                 dbwagoner AT yahoo.com
Arsenal Digital Solutions    www.arsenaldigital.com