internetworkers - Re: experience networking at home with cable modem?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Michael S Czeiszperger <czei AT webperfcenter.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: experience networking at home with cable modem?
  • Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 09:33:35 -0400

"David B. Wagoner" wrote:
If any of you have experience setting up a home network with cable modem access I'd appreciate learning from your experience. I'll be getting RoadRunner cable access this week and want to connect a desktop and a laptop, perhaps another desktop later.  A friend is using a LinkSys Cable/DSL 4-port router to share the single IP address among three computers and it seems to work fine.  Also, this circumvents the extra $10/month Time Warner wants for each additional IP address.  What I don't know is if it's possible to have network sharing of files and printers through this router.  And, is the router necessary or should I just use network cards and Win98 to network the desktop to the laptop?  How would Win98 handle the shared IP address? Tips will be much appreciated.

I have the exact setup, with two Linux boxes, one Windows 2000 virtual machine running under VMWare, and two NT machines. The LinkSys Cable/DSL "router" works great. All of the computers can see the outside and each other. The router doesn't affect network file sharing at all. The main Linux machine is running Samba, and sharing its printer with the other machines, and the two NT machines are sharing each of their printers with each other and the Linux box. File sharing works great to.

The only caveat here is I used fixed IP addressing because that's what I'm used to. I didn't go to the trouble of setting up one of the NT boxes as a domain controller for accounts, instead just duplicating the usernames and passwords on the NT boxes, and using the same account ids on Linux. This only works because there were only three users.

You can make Win98 work with this scheme by setting the networking to use a fixed IP address. Otherwise, you just set it to use the LinkSys box as the DHCP server.

Michael Czeiszperger

begin:vcard
n:Czeiszperger;Michael
tel;cell:919-696-7818
tel;fax:919-785-0562
tel;work:919-785-2998
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
url:http://www.webperfcenter.com
org:Web Performance Inc
adr:;;PO Box 14753	;Research Triangle Park;NC;27709-4753;
version:2.1
email;internet:czei AT webperfcenter.com
x-mozilla-cpt:;10816
fn:Michael Czeiszperger
end:vcard