internetworkers - Re: experience networking at home with cable modem?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Greg Cox <glcox AT pobox.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: experience networking at home with cable modem?
  • Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 10:40:22 -0400 (EDT)

> Just jumping in here to say that I've been pretty happy with my Apple
> Airport

+1

> (which uses a Lucent/Orinoco Silver 11Mbps card).

Unless you go in with a Phillips. 6 screws, unplug an RJ45 and some
twisted wire, and you can yank the Silver and go Gold.
( http://www.msrl.com/airport-gold/ ) for pictures.

Don't let the lack of other Apple hardware scare you off. There's
FreeBase. ( http://freebase.sourceforge.net/ ) VB app that lets
you customize the Base Station. After about 15 minutes, I had the
whole thing seamlessly integrated with the rest of my network, i.e.
using my addressing scheme, not Apple's 10.*.*.* one.

I -will- get this running under Linux one day when I can breathe.
Anyone who saw me say the same stuff about the AirPort over on TriLUG
last week, well, bear with me. I love this stuff.

ObOnTopic: I went the Linux route with my home gateway/firewall. If
you go that route and want help/hints, filfree to ask.