internetworkers - Re: experience networking at home with cable modem?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Steven Champeon <schampeo AT hesketh.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: experience networking at home with cable modem?
  • Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 11:13:01 -0400

on Tue, Sep 26, 2000 at 10:40:22AM -0400, Greg Cox wrote:
> > Just jumping in here to say that I've been pretty happy with my Apple
> > Airport
>
> +1
>
> > (which uses a Lucent/Orinoco Silver 11Mbps card).
>
> Unless you go in with a Phillips. 6 screws, unplug an RJ45 and some
> twisted wire, and you can yank the Silver and go Gold.
> ( http://www.msrl.com/airport-gold/ ) for pictures.

True, but the Apple Airport cards are Silver - not that you should let
that stop you, but just an FYI - if you're using the base station with
a Mac with an Apple Airport card, you'll only get the Silver-level
encryption (40-bit?).

> Don't let the lack of other Apple hardware scare you off. There's
> FreeBase. ( http://freebase.sourceforge.net/ ) VB app that lets
> you customize the Base Station. After about 15 minutes, I had the
> whole thing seamlessly integrated with the rest of my network, i.e.
> using my addressing scheme, not Apple's 10.*.*.* one.

There are also Java tools that config the base station as well. The
10.* scheme had me over a barrel for a bit, which was frustrating, because
I got the base working with 192.168.*.* at work, but at home I was using
the thing with a hub. Seems if you're going to use 'provide ethernet
addresses', the hosts on the ethernet network have to start with 10.0.0.51
(or 10.0.1.51 - I forget. The important thing is the .51, as the base
seems to reserve the first 50 hosts for wireless, so ethernet traffic
claiming to come from them just freaks the base out.)

> I -will- get this running under Linux one day when I can breathe.
> Anyone who saw me say the same stuff about the AirPort over on TriLUG
> last week, well, bear with me. I love this stuff.

I've got it working under LinuxPPC on a Pismo Powerbook - what distro
are you using, what hardware, etc.?

> ObOnTopic: I went the Linux route with my home gateway/firewall. If
> you go that route and want help/hints, filfree to ask.

Speaking of firewalls, I've been running a Linux firewall for a couple
of years now, on an old p75/32MB (only using 8MB) - I couldn't be at
all happier :)

Steve

--
hesketh.com is hiring: http://hesketh.com/careers/