internetworkers - NCSSM Students Internet Access Restricted?!?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Michael D. Thomas" <mdthomas AT mindspring.com>
  • To: internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Cc: barber AT ncssm.edu, chempel AT nando.com, cdyrness AT nando.com
  • Subject: NCSSM Students Internet Access Restricted?!?
  • Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 20:20:55 -0400

(Those of you that are on the NCSSM alumni list have already seen this
thread.)

From what I can tell, the administration of NCSSM is trying to install
monitoring software so that the students won't be able to access all of
the Internet -- like adults can (some at work & home, some only when
they pay for the ISP). I'm forwarding a note from a top administrator to
the students, alumni, etc -- it's below. Here's a bit:

<EXCREPT>
"This is blatantly shown through the recent addition of a "proxy
server" and filtration software
that monitors and restricts student access to knowledge and information
on the internet. Is such a "big brother" approach to student life what
is needed at OUR school? It seems to many that this is simply another
aspect of a general distrust of students by the administration and
student life
staffs."
</EXCREPT>

The students have planned a speakout for Wednesday, September 27th at
6:30 P.M. in the assembly hall on the NCSSM campus. (Hmm.. I wonder if
they went through the appropriate procedures for reserving this premier
campus meeting space?)

Anyway, maybe you'd like to check it out if your interested in the
issue, have ties to S&M, etc.
I can come up with some directions if you want.

-- Mike Thomas, S&M '91

Barber, Joan" <barber AT ncssm.edu> wrote:
> Thanks. Your e-mail was informative. However, when I read it, I
wassurprised because I had not received complaints from students
regarding
censorship and other issues. I look forward to meeting anytime today
(Monday, September 25, 2000) or any other day with students to address
these
issues. This will give us an opportunity to first identify student
issues,
share with you some of our interests and work together for solutions.

The Student Life Division is determined to stay focused and demonstrate
on a
daily basis that our students' quality of life here at NCSSM is our top
priority.

Clearly there is an issue and we (students, faculty, staff,
administration,
parents) together can find a solution. My door will be open all day, so

students, please feel free to come and tell me what's on your minds.