internetworkers - Re: experience networking at home with cable modem?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Chris MacLeod <chrism AT buildscape.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: experience networking at home with cable modem?
  • Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 09:57:04 -0400 (EDT)

Netgear has a very nice product. A 4 port 10/100 switch integrated with a
firewall/router does NAT and firewall duties (and lets you share your
internet connection)

More details? http://www.netgear.com/products/rt314ps.shtml

I know stayonline (http://www.stayonline.com) has them for about $140-$180
(depending on discount level)

Chris

On Mon, 25 Sep 2000, David B. Wagoner wrote:

> If any of you have experience setting up a home network with cable modem
> access I'd appreciate learning from your experience.
>
> I'll be getting RoadRunner cable access this week and want to connect a
> desktop and a laptop, perhaps another desktop later. A friend is using a
> LinkSys Cable/DSL 4-port router to share the single IP address among three
> computers and it seems to work fine. Also, this circumvents the extra
> $10/month Time Warner wants for each additional IP address. What I don't
> know is if it's possible to have network sharing of files and printers
> through this router. And, is the router necessary or should I just use
> network cards and Win98 to network the desktop to the laptop? How would
> Win98 handle the shared IP address?
>
> Tips will be much appreciated.
>
> david

> David Wagoner dbwagoner AT yahoo.com
> Arsenal Digital Solutions www.arsenaldigital.com

> You are currently subscribed to internetworkers as: chrism AT buildscape.com

Chris MacLeod Systems Administrator
Buildscape.com chrism AT buildscape.com