homestead - Re: [Homestead] weights

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] weights
  • Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 12:00:53 -0400

Hi Lisa-it sounds like you husband and my husband are in the same shape. That towel trick has saved Ron, too. I guess I hadn't thought of doing it for myself. I have been stretching though.
I don't know if you are familiar with the word 'bonk'-we used to call it, back in my running days, 'hitting the wall'. It is the point at which all of your energy is gone and fatigue slams you as if you hit a wall. It is essentially a state of severe hypoglycemia. Well, yesterday, I bonked...we've been riding 7-11 miles in hilly terrain for a year or so, and before yesterday, the most I had biked was 16 miles on a nice paved path down in Rome(in 2009), which is flatter than where I live. Yesterday, we cycled 20 miles and it took just under two hours. It was such a beautiful day. At any rate, I felt tired when I got home, but okay. Within an hour, I remembered that I had a Biggest Loser workout to do, and even though I knew I was spent, I did not want to get behind in my training game, so I had a 'light' core workout for an additional 20 minutes. After that, it was all I could do to stand up in the shower and make it to the sofa to lay down. I totally bonked! I work pretty hard, but it has been almost 30 years since I last bonked like that. I was out for the count for a few hours until I reloaded energy(ate and ate<g>)
Today, I feel like someone has beaten me with a chain. No pain, no gain...or so they say.
I have a Challenge workout and weigh in today on the game, but outside of that I think I am just going to stretch a lot. No weights, no bike, no woodsplitting,,,,just stretch my butt muscles...lol...

Ok, so here is another health question....

I once tried glucosamine and chondroitin, but stopped it after a couple of bottles because I did not see or feel any results.
That was maybe 10 years ago. I have also taken shark cartilage in the past and stopped it for the same reason. In the past, I have just tried to remain hydrated, and I think that goes a long way in preventing crunchy joints and back issues.

I have an old rotator cuff injury (from where my ram charged me), but it generally is fine now. Since I have been lifting weights, I really hear my shoulders crunching. I started doing some work with very light dumbells to strenthen those tendons and ligaments in the cuff and I am seeing a greater range of movement and maybe an improvement in weight tolerance, however, my shoulders are crunching more than ever.

Should I go back to taking G&C or shark cartiledge? Which would be better for alleviating the bone crunchiness? I am inclined to retry G&C..what do you think? Are there other alternatives?