homestead - Re: [Homestead] weights

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] weights
  • Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 19:26:20 -0700

It would have to be PDF because I don't have Excel or anything else on this computer.

I can tell you that the easiest way to get to doing pushups is doing yoga to strengthen your back AND do doorway pushups first. I find knee pushups to be more trouble than they're worth.

I would say that trying to increase the weight a bit with each workout wouldn't be something that I would recommend. I would get to "x" and then do that weight for a week or so until it feels too easy and then gradually increase and so forth and so on.

As to upper body strength, I've never been able to do a push-up worth beans but I could buck hay all day long, toss sacks of grain, toss calves, pull a horse over and other stuff that takes upper body strength. I stick with the doorway push-ups myself <g>

Maybe it's a guy thing. My dad could do them all day long with one hand. The ex could do them on his thumbs. DH does them and claps in the middle. Now, my mom could walk for a block on her hands and I could do splits forward, backward and sideways until I was in my 50s. None of the guys could do that, so there <g>

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "EarthNSky" <erthnsky AT gmail.com>

Thanks Les and Lisa and Lynda..
I have been strength training, not body building; I should have been more clear.
My goal is to develop arm strength so that I will be able to do a push up or a pull up. I have never been able to do that and I just would like to be able to do 1,5, or 10 push ups. I don't even do knee pushups very well.
I have been doing yoga and stretching and cycling too, along with the Biggest Loser game on the Wii, and Wii Fit for yoga guidance, etc.
I have a weight bench with a cable pulley system. It is a Weider 215, but unlike the ones I google, mine also has a lat tower like the 240. I also have some dumbells along with the 15# 6 ft bar and plate weights.

I have a little spreadsheet where I have listed the exercise with the number of reps and sets, for example, it would say 10/35# x 3 (3 sets of 10 reps at 35#)

I started slowly and have been at it since mid July and I have been able to increase my weight. Every workout, I try to increase the weight a bit, unless I am injured. I have lifted when I am sore, but only if I can maintain form. If I realize that my form sucks, I lower the weight and concentrate on form.

What I need is for someone to look at the spreadsheet and tell me whether or not I should continue on the same track, increasing weight, or what. I feel like I need some feedback as to what I am doing. I realize that there is a balance between the weight, the number of reps, the rest period for that muscle between sets, etc. and those variables are determined largely by the goal, whether that is body building, strength training, or whatever.

I just want to be able to do pushups and pull ups and keep my bones and joints healthy. Looking buff is not that important.
Any takers on spreadsheet analysis?

Bev