homestead - Re: [Homestead] Soil remineralization beyond NPK

  • From: "Gloria Morris" <gloriamorris59 AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Soil remineralization beyond NPK
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 16:40:59 -0600

Too funny, Marie! Louie was a great dog!!!

Yes, I had to compost sheep and sheep parts, back when. I was doing
direct-to-consumer sales of lamb. I delivered the lamb to the processor, and
the customer picked up the packaged meat. The down side of it was that I had
to pick up the pelt, head, legs, and internal organs, as they could not sell
these to the rendering plant. The pelt was not a problem, as that was
something that could be tanned and made into a value added thing, which I
could sell. The legs and organs were good food for the dogs! BUT, the heads
were more of a problem, as the dogs could not really handle those before
flies became bothersome. And, there's the YUCK factor. There's just
something a bit gross in giving critter heads to dogs for chew toys.

THEN I discovered how nicely they compost. I also had to compost entire
carcasses. Now, back then, my compost was much larger than someone would
have in a suburban back yard! But my compost now is larger than that too! I
don't think I could likely compost a whole ram in my current compost pile,
but I know I could easily do a smaller critter. Extension office Master
Gardeners have kittens when one discusses such things as the composting of
meat scraps, or, horrors, whole critters. I had that training, so I know we
were supposed to scold these ideas. But farmers do this routinely, and I too
can vouch that it works beautifully - you just need a large compost pile.

Gloria