homestead - Re: [Homestead] Soil remineralization beyond NPK

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Soil remineralization beyond NPK
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 20:25:47 -0600

On Jan 27, 2008 8:09 PM, Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com> wrote:

> Marie, do you not see the paradox in that? Your manure is produced by
> an animal that eats a most wonderful and balanced diet, one that is
> superior to what even we dog lovers feed our pooches.

Of course I do. But hell will freeze over before I drag my sorry ass
outside in subzero weather to crap on the compost heap. Or even crap
in a bucket that can be emptied on the pile.

I have a nice toilet in a warm place where I can sit and contemplate
the back pasture. Should I at any tme be caught short outside, the
excrement goes onto the pile. Everything else goes into the septic.

As you suggest, dog feces are probably as big, or worse, a concern as
human feces.

I'm reminded of a story I read once of Chinese farmers, and a guy who
was visiting his neighbors when he felt the need to defecate. He, of
course, rushed home to add the results to his system rather than his
neighbor's.

Marie, whose compost piles need a whole lot of work