homestead - Re: [Homestead] Soil remineralization beyond NPK

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Soil remineralization beyond NPK
  • Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2008 19:35:30 -0500

Gene GeRue wrote:

In addition to obtaining and applying mineral dust we can grow plants
with deep root systems that mine minerals from depths far below typical garden plant roots. These include alfalfa, dandelion and trees. While most tree roots are within fifteen feet of the surface,
certain oak tree roots have been found nearly 200 feet in caves. It
follows that the leaves and rotted remains of deceased oaks may well
contain a store of essential minerals. I typically place a thick
layer of fallen oak limb pieces in the bottom of new raised beds.

In my monster raised beds(2.5 feet tall sides made of metal
siding/roofing), I first put rocks in the bottom for drainage, then
branches and limbs from various trees(including pine) into the bottom
for aeration and to reduce the amount of 'fill' for the top and for the
same reasoning as above..it composts in place. Glad to see I'm not the
only one.

Bev
--
Bevanron of EarthNSky Farm Sleep well tonight, for somewhere in the
ocean's depths, MY son is protecting YOUR freedom.