homestead - Re: [Homestead] Soil remineralization beyond NPK

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Soil remineralization beyond NPK
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 14:28:17 -0700

On Jan 27, 2008, at 1:27 PM, Gloria Morris wrote:

One does not want to over-do anything, including this, but I think
the use of tree by-products helps to build soil health. My Dad did it for
many years, and he turned a few acres of barren sand that could hardly
sustain a crop into some of the most beautiful, healthy, productive soil
I've ever seen. I hope my own patch of sand will one day be as rich as that!

It is almost certain that your patch of sand will become ever more productive if you continue to add all those things you do.

Adding animal parts is not recommended for a garden compost pile. I have always buried animals in garden beds, deeper than normal cultivation. I intend to bury myself about four feet deep--deep enough to keep critters from upsetting people by excavating and dragging my parts about, here a hip bone, there a shoulder--but not so deep that worms and soil microorganisms won't get to the tissues and convert them to food for the dogwood trees.