homestead - Re: [Homestead] The 'Bigfoot' story

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] The 'Bigfoot' story
  • Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2007 00:40:46 -0600

Wow. I vividly remember one night in a tent in Michigan's Norther
Peninsula when a couple of dear chased each other around our tent.
They didn't sound much like deer, but what else has thundering hooves?
The snorting was pretty amazing. I'm not sure what got that deer into
an uproar, but it was effective -- and frightening at the time.

As for Bigfoot, yesterday I listened to Bob Edwards interviewing Ira
Flatow about Ira's new book. Ira has been interviewing scientists for
about 30 years or more. His most tantalising moment, he said, was when
he was talking to Jane Goodall and a guest asked her if there was any
species that she was sure existed that she would like to discover. She
said that she'd like to find Bigfoot (that's a condensed version -- it
was more subtle than that). And then time ran out and Ira wasn't able
to grill her.

A huge Bigfoot-is-real contingent is out there, and some of the stuff
they report sounds possible. The world often seems small, but it's
also bigger than we imagine, and if Goodall thinks that Bigfoot is
afoot....well, maybe. Gorillas and bonoboes are relatively recent
discoveries.

Marie