homestead - Re: [Homestead] build to last? was: preserving poles

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] build to last? was: preserving poles
  • Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2007 18:25:32 -0500

On Nov 3, 2007, at 10:21 AM, <eureka AT hctc.net> <eureka AT hctc.net> wrote:

Gene, I think what appeals to me more than the
affordability of using local materials is the organic,
almost spiritual, qualities of vernacular architecture,
the embodiment of one's cultural heritage (not that
Americans have a cohesive one, or one that I'd choose to
emulate). I'll be the first to admit I like my air
conditioner, although we live with a much wider range of
interior temperatures than most around us.

So, perhaps, vernacular to you in this regard means your personal heritage, the today result of your life journey?

I'm really drawn to the idea of building as you go, or are
so moved, perhaps by what scavanged materials show up at
the right time. There are plenty of folks around here
(even some builders) that don't take out permits. I can't
imagine trying to draw up, at least in detail, what this
structure would look like because I know once I begin the
materials will make their own suggestions. I like the
extempory quality of what those people did in Home Work.
The codes imposed on us don't allow for this kind of
soulful building.

You have enforced building codes where you live?

So the question for myself is: can I create shelter from
the locally abundant rock (somewhat rounded, about the
size of a fist, cobbled by some catastrophic water flow
eons ago, and virtually unstackable),

Like small river stone?

Nothing is unstackable if a suitable bonding medium is used. How about slipform masonry, using either concrete or clay/sand/cement as a bonding medium? Think of the stones as large aggregate, then make them exposed after the medium sets up overnight by brushing with appropriate tool and water.

juniper (mistakenly
called cedar here)

The cedar here in the Ozarks is Juniperus virginiana, which range extends into Texas. I wonder if it is the same.

limbs most appropriately sized for
fencing (and purchased locally, so that my acerage does
not become entirely denuded as my neighbor's recently did.
I could have built a mansion with what he destroyed) and
develop my own personal vernacular (based on ?)?

Well, do so in spite of all that. Beside your unusual stone (what color is it?) and smallish woody shrubs or trees, what is the nature of your soil? Have you read how cob is created?