homestead - Re: [Homestead] Responses to preserving poles in the ground

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Responses to preserving poles in the ground
  • Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2007 18:04:30 -0500

On Nov 2, 2007, at 3:57 PM, KNat wrote:

Sustainability would say build to last as long as regenerating the
materials it is from.

I like the sound of that but how does one decide on the term? Are you connected with people or places that have figured this out?

How long would it take to regenerate the materials of cement, plaster, steel fasteners, metal roof panels? The sand that makes windows is in nearly infinite supply but the energy to process is not unless we harness that nuclear energy plant that is out there about ninety gazillion miles distant. Trees will grow to harvest size in fifty years. Insulation from recycled material is available. The copper in wiring and water pipe is finite, does not regenerate. Nor does the stuff used to make plastic pipe.

Following Don's example, I bought and have read a couple books on green building. It is a ton of work but cob building looks very nice to me; using the earth itself for walls and floor. But roof, water, electric, heating systems are made of high technology using materials in finite supply.

What are your suggestions?