homestead - [Homestead] Concrete was: preserving poles in the ground

  • From: Don Bowen KI6DIU <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Concrete was: preserving poles in the ground
  • Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2007 16:39:44 -0700

At 11/2/2007, you wrote:
Concrete is
> expensive; it contains a fair amount embedded energy in the cement
> and it must be installed in good forms with the right mix ratio and
> the drainage that Don wrote about. Perfect drainage and strong,
> reinforced concrete can create the bottom of a building that will
> last centuries.

A lot of people disdain the use of concrete because of its embedded energy content and its release CO2 during kiln drying of the cement. I think this should be balanced against its longevity and low maintenance. As Gene mentioned with the correct mix ratio and properly built forms, the result will last many lifetimes.

One real problem with concrete structures is the modern use of disposable forms. I have build some concrete walls and patios and try to make sure there is reuse in the forms. My last garden was framed with 2 by 4s from the forms to pour a patio. A recent wall I built for trash can storage used plywood sheets that came off some horse stalls that were being demolished.

Don Bowen Awl Knotted Up KI6DIU
http://www.braingarage.com