homestead - Re: [Homestead] Responses to preserving poles in the ground

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Responses to preserving poles in the ground
  • Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2007 18:06:55 -0500

On Nov 1, 2007, at 2:22 PM, Don Bowen KI6DIU wrote:

Here is what most of the responses have told me along with some
research. These ideas are based on using timber from the site. If
purchased timber is used, just buy the latest PT stuff and be sure to seal
it off.

Be aware that the new ACQ preservatives--there are at least three versions--require corrosion-proof fasteners, typically good stainless steel or hot-dipped galvanized.

As for the pole, species if very important. Locust and Ceder are often
mentioned as long lasting poles. From personal experience Locust fence
posts out last just about everything but Osage Orange but are much
straighter.

Here in this part of the Ozarks, post oak is also favored for fence posts. We have locust but not substantial amounts. I have used cedar and in five years found all the sapwood gone but the skinny, spiny heart intact.

Chemical treatments, used motor oil, and tar were frequently
mentioned. Charing the pole was also mentioned several times. Be sure the
pole is completely air dried before use so any checks can be delt
with. One idea was to bore a hole in the base to speed drying, reduce
checks, and allow penetration of what ever preservative used.

Other preservatives are creosote, used in railroad ties, and penta, with which power poles are treated. These are more expensive.

If the ground does not drain well, don't bother with poles set in the
ground but use a form and make a cast in place concrete pier. They can be
stopped at grade and steel anchors used to secure the poles.

This raises the issue of personal philosophy. Builders and contractors typically build a structure according to code, which means the building will stand through one or two mortgages. We individuals building for our own use typically strive to make a structure that will last as long as we expect to use it and sell it or maybe long enough for our children to use it. Concrete is expensive; it contains a fair amount embedded energy in the cement and it must be installed in good forms with the right mix ratio and the drainage that Don wrote about. Perfect drainage and strong, reinforced concrete can create the bottom of a building that will last centuries.

It's a choice.