freetds - Re: [freetds] FreeTDS API basic/newbe question

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "ZIGLIO, Frediano, VF-IT" <Frediano.Ziglio AT vodafone.com>
  • To: "FreeTDS Development Group" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] FreeTDS API basic/newbe question
  • Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 09:42:55 +0200

> Yes, I have been using this document. Excellent resource.
> This document as you know convers up to version TDS 8. I was wondering
> what the current TDS versio is (9 or higher) and where I can get a
> similar doc on TDS9 (or TDS_Current)
>
> Thanks
> Medi

Well.. Microsoft do not give (freely) documentation of TDS so best (and
free) documentation came from FreeTDS and jTDS. I don't think MS rewrite
entire protocol for new version so we could manage to start analyzing
the new additions. Currently we are busy with release stuff but I think
that some dumps could be analyzed. Here we see TDS dumps every day so we
could help to fill the gap to TDS9 (this would help us for next
releases). Considering that MS usually use RPCs to extend TDS and
considering that there aren't so much additions with mssql2005 it
shouldn't be a long work.

Additions which could change TDS are:
- varchar(max)
- xml type (are there other new types??)
- new server cursors (new RPCs?? multiple logins on single connection??)