freetds - Re: [freetds] FreeTDS API basic/newbe question

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] FreeTDS API basic/newbe question
  • Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 23:54:14 -0400

Hi Michael,

michael.peppler AT bnpparibas.com wrote:
> Database engines do speak SOAP, or can be made to (eg ASE 12.5.x and 15
> can be configured to do so with an add-on feature).

Learn something new every day....

The problem with SOAP, from what I can tell, is that it's both too much
and too little where databases are concerned. It's stateless, right? Is
there a cancel protocol?

> However, as a general method of communicating with clients I think the
> overhead would be much too high. The TDS protocol is *much* more compact
>
> than XML and requires a lot less conversion (data sent in binary)...

I look forward to the day when database clients and servers are as
interchangeable as are web and email servers and clients. It is a dim and
distant future, I know. To get there, we need a text-based protocol, even
if it includes an xs:base64Binary encoding option. (There is no example
of a widely implemented free binary protocol, unless you count NFS, which
I don't.) It certainly won't put the proprietary/specialized protocols
out of business right away, but it would simplify and standardize database
access.

I personally believe this will a logical outgrowth of the widespread
adoption of free databases.

Regards,