freetds - Re: [freetds] FreeTDS API basic/newbe question

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] FreeTDS API basic/newbe question
  • Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 18:07:26 -0400

Medi Montaseri wrote:

> The fact that SOAP has been mostly implemented on HTTP (a
> stateless Transport) has created a bit of issue, though SOAP can be
> implemented on even SMTP, FTP or any transport.

Yes, but if you implement SOAP on anything but HTTP, you'll be all alone.
You might as well invent something new, or something old (see below).

> The other point (you mentioned) and I like is Openness which benefits
> open source software. This will happen just as it happened to the top
> layer (ie SQL). The bottom layer (wire protocols, etc) will also at some
> point converge.

I actually think most database interaction can be handled with HTML (but
not HTTP). Its <table> tags are quite compact, not by accident.

If you're interested, check out the BEEP protocol. I got partway down
that road. I think it would be interesting to get further down it.

Regards,