freetds - Re: [freetds] FreeTDS API basic/newbe question

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Brian Bruns" <brian.bruns AT gmail.com>
  • To: "FreeTDS Development Group" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] FreeTDS API basic/newbe question
  • Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 08:37:34 -0400

Have a look at DRDA (http://www.opengroup.org/dbiop/)

It's used as DB2's native protocol. Unfortunately, as a standard it seems
to be going nowhere.

I did a project called OpenDRDA, that has also gone nowhere due to lack of
time, but I did some preliminary work of bolting this onto both PostgreSQL
and MySQL and someday I may return to it. My thought was that if DB2 + all
the free databases used it then Sybase, Microsoft and Oracle would
eventually be forced to join the fold.

The best laid plans of mice and men....

Brian