corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] The Antioch Incident

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Tim Gallant" <tim AT rabbisaul.com>
  • To: "Corpus-Paul" <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] The Antioch Incident
  • Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 14:41:06 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mark D. Nanos" <mark AT marknanos.com>
To: "Corpus Paul" <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Tuesday, March 28, 2006 2:33 PM

I started to question what was conveyed in Paul's ethnikws language when
noticing that zhs is in the present tense, but that when Paul is addressing
Peter, he is presently eating with Jews only, so it did not make sense as
commonly understood, and by you, for me. He should have written, "you were
living gentiley" before returning to "living Jewishly" if that was to be
clearly communicated, not you "are living gentiley."

I don't see that. Seems to me you are unduly restricting the implication of the tense. Greek present tense can convey a customary sense, no?

tim

Tim Gallant
Pastor, Conrad Christian Reformed Church
http://www.timgallant.org
http://www.rabbisaul.com