corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] Galatians 3:10

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Jeff Krantz @ optonline.net" <jkrantz AT optonline.net>
  • To: Corpus-Paul <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] Galatians 3:10
  • Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 07:48:52 -0500

Dear Mark,

Thanks for clarifying for me. I think, without my being particularly clear, you've dealt with my question. For the sake of clarity, though, let me see if I can be more specific. It is the universality of the text that worried me (not for myself, but as something to which I might be called to respond) where Paul says that "all" are "under a curse." It seems to suggest that, as no one is capable of keeping the whole of the law, all are therefore "cursed."

As an admonition within part of the proselyte conversion process, "under a curse" makes a different sense, as something they take on as a responsibiliity, not as a condemnation. (I don't know all the folks I'll be talking with today, but I do know that one of them is very much a fundamentalist, and I want to be able to respond cogently to this if he brings it up as an objection to Paul's Torah observance, i.e. "How could Paul be Torah observant if he considered it to curse everyone who tries??"

BTW... Have you seen "Paul Among the Post Liberals?" It is more a theological than an exegetical work, but he does make reference to your work!

Thanks again!

Jeff K.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mark D. Nanos" <mark AT marknanos.com>