corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] Galatians 3:10

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Tim Gallant" <tim AT rabbisaul.com>
  • To: "Corpus-Paul" <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] Galatians 3:10
  • Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 09:33:55 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jeff Krantz @ optonline.net" <jkrantz AT optonline.net>
To: "Corpus-Paul" <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Tuesday, March 28, 2006 5:54 AM

Thanks Tim,

I wonder, given your reading, if you would extend the "us" of 3:13 to Jews
as well?

I think you misunderstand my point. I think "us" in 3.13 probably refers exclusively to Jews (qualifying that by saying that proselytes would be included).

To be sure, this is stated specifically to make a paranetic point regarding the Gentiles. The fact that it took Christ's representative death to remove Jews from the paidagogos-covenant illustrates how absurd it is for Christian Gentiles, who have already been made partakers of the new covenant, to seek to come under Torah.

That is to say, that one could, in Paul's point of view seek to be
observant (as an identity maker, for instance) without risking the "curse?"
This would seem to fit with Paul's understanding of the dawning of the new
age. Or, perhaps to say it better, perhaps the "curse" exists still (that
is to say, discernment as to whether or not given behavior conforms to Torah
exists) but it doesn't condemn?

See, here is where we get into trouble with the "observant" language. Does it mean faithfully adhering to the Torah covenant per se, or does it simply mean following the norms for the sake of something else? Paul denies the former and affirms the latter in 1 Cor 9.19ff. He makes quite clear that he is not under Torah - but he is happy to live as one under Torah, so that he might win those who are (9.20). But in reality the "Torah" he is under, he says, is Christ Himself (9.21).

tim

Tim Gallant
Pastor, Conrad Christian Reformed Church
http://www.timgallant.org
http://www.rabbisaul.com