corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] The Antioch Incident

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Mark D. Nanos" <mark AT marknanos.com>
  • To: Corpus Paul <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] The Antioch Incident
  • Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 15:33:51 -0600

Ian,
Thanks for the clarification and discussion. I am out of time for this, but
will try to follow if something new arises from the discussion.

I started to question what was conveyed in Paul's ethnikws language when
noticing that zhs is in the present tense, but that when Paul is addressing
Peter, he is presently eating with Jews only, so it did not make sense as
commonly understood, and by you, for me. He should have written, "you were
living gentiley" before returning to "living Jewishly" if that was to be
clearly communicated, not you "are living gentiley." So I began to search
for a way to make sense of this language. Landed on "living gentiley" =
"standing before God on the same terms as Gentiles do," which is how Paul's
argument seems to proceed thereafter. More along this line in that essay in
Galatians Debate, also discussion of usage of ioudai¨zein.
Regards,
Mark
--
Mark D. Nanos, Ph.D.
Soebbing Visiting Scholar, Rockhurst University