corpus-paul - [Corpus-Paul] Priesthood of Melchizedek

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Bob MacDonald <bobmacdonald AT shaw.ca>
  • To: 'Corpus-Paul' <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Corpus-Paul] Priesthood of Melchizedek
  • Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 19:31:26 -0800

Jeffrey, thanks for the opening for questions on Hebrews. It is hard to know
where to begin.

When I first read this book many years ago, an old priest who knew I
couldn't tell a miniscule from a majuscule told me the book was only meant
to be read by priests.

What can we tell about the first century concept of priesthood by the use of
Melchizedek here and in the Psalm? Where and when did the need for the
phrase in the Psalm arise? Clearly it antedates Hebrews by many years
(1000?). Why would the author use it in the letter as he does? What does
it say about his/her use of Scripture? What does it say about the continuing
Levitical priesthood? Is there an explicit abrogation of parts of the Moses
tradition that is evident from Hebrews?

I have been reading about this book
1. Hughes, Graham, Hebrews and Hermeneutics - just touched it - then decided
not to pursue this book in depth. Anyone else read it?
2. Hurst, L. D., The Epistle to the Hebrews - I thought this book was quite
helpful. Hurst argues against Platonic, Philonic, Qumran, Gnostic and
Samaritan backgrounds to the writing.
3. Koester, Craig R., Hebrews: a new translation with introduction and
commentary (Anchor 2001) - ploughing through this detailed work.
4. Peterson, David, Hebrews and Perfection - I found this a useful
exploration of roots of 'tel' in Hebrews and other literature.

I also have Buchanan's commentary (ABC 1985)

Input appreciated

Bob

Bob MacDonald
Victoria BC