corpus-paul - [Corpus-Paul] The Antioch Incident

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Ian Scott <iscott2 AT uwo.ca>
  • To: 'Corpus-Paul' <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Corpus-Paul] The Antioch Incident
  • Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 11:40:15 -0500

Dear Harold,

Yes, as you say, it is commonly suggested that Paul felt the requirement
that common meals be kosher would put undue pressure on Gentiles to keep
Torah. We might go further and say that it would amount to a requirement
that they keep food laws, at least in community contexts. This may be all
there was to Paul's statement that Peter was requiring Gentiles to
"Judaize." In my reply to Mark, though, I wanted to acknowledge that many
commentators still wonder whether this explanation is sufficient. If I am
going to push what I think is required by the expression "living like a
Gentile" I don't want to let myself off the hook too easily in trying to
explain what "living like a Jew" means. At the moment I'm content to allow
for some uncertainty on this point.

Cheers,

Ian

Ian W. Scott
Assistant Professor of Religious Studies
King's University College
London, Ontario, CANADA
iscott2 AT uwo.ca
The Online Critical Pseudepigrapha: http://www.purl.org/net/ocp