corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] Galatians 2:16: Exploring the Relationshipbetween Faith and Works

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Rabbi Saul" <tim AT rabbisaul.com>
  • To: "Corpus-Paul" <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] Galatians 2:16: Exploring the Relationshipbetween Faith and Works
  • Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 16:50:18 -0600

> Is forgiveness really a central concern of Paul?

I think it is, but we need to set it within the eschatological perspective
provided by Isaiah, rather than treating it quite so narrowly. It is part
of the three-way courtroom conflict depicted in Isaiah, which presents a
covenantal conflict between Yahweh, Israel, and Israel's enemies. On the
one hand, God is just in giving Israel up to her enemies; on the other, He
has bound Himself to Israel by covenant, and His "righteousness,"
"faithfulness" and "truth" are called into question by Israel's plight.
Hence, His "name is blasphemed among the Gentiles" on account of Israel's
exile and subjugation.

Thus the prophets look forward to the eschatological forgiveness of sins,
when God will vindicate Himself (i.e. His righteousness will be displayed in
His salvation) and Israel (He will deliver them from their enemies).

I believe that in Paul, the primary "enemy" who is subjugating Israel is
"Sin," which is partially why he speaks of hamartia as a power. Both Jew
and Gentile are "under Sin," and it is only in the condemnation of Sin in
the flesh of God's righteous one that His people are liberated from this
oppressor. Thus forgiveness of sins, I think, is integrated into an
overarching event of justification-as-eschatological deliverance. The old
creation, the "sarx aeon," is put to death when Christ
according-to-the-flesh dies as a sin offering; the new creation, "the pneuma
aeon," is put into gear when Christ is raised by the Spirit. Forgiveness of
sins is an aspect of the sin-offering (no surprise, given Paul's appeal to
Ps 32 in Romans 4), but it is integrated into a larger whole.

tim

Tim Gallant
Pastor, Conrad Christian Reformed Church
Conrad, MT

Biblical Studies Center
http://www.timgallant.org/center.htm

Pauline studies: