corpus-paul - Re: Did Paul know Peter's travel locations?

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: rfellows AT intergate.ca
  • To: <corpus-paul AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Did Paul know Peter's travel locations?
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 22:02:14 -0700

Kym Smith wrote:
>Are you suggesting that this knowledge was merely epistolary, still from
>Pentecost or are you allowing that perhaps Peter may have been to Rome
>prior to 49.

Kym, I was not arguing against a visit by Paul to Rome prior to 49. On the
contrary, I think he may well have made such a visit. If he did not, then he
may well have been known to the Roman church by another means. Either way,
the presence of the 'Cephas' slogan in Corinth can be explained by the
presence of immigrants to Corinth from Rome (or possibly by visits by
Corinthian residents to Judaea). My purpose was to argue against the
hypothesis that Peter went to Corinth. I find no evidence for Peter going to
Corinth, and it is doubtful that he would have knowingly done anything that
risked establishing a group of 'Cephas' supporters on Paul's territory.

On the whole question of a visit by Peter to Rome prior to 49, you will be
interested to read the following paper, if you have not already done so:

John Wenham, "Did Peter go to Rome in AD 42?", Tyndale Bulletin 23 (1972)
p94-102.

>I Cor 9:5 may not demand that Peter had been to Corinth, but I
>suspect it is implied.

Not at all. 1 Cor 9.5 cannot be used as evidence for or against Peter going
to Corinth. Did the other apostles, and the lord's brothers and Barnabas also
visit Corinth in the three years preceding 1 Corinthians? Very unlikely.

Regards,

Richard Fellows.