corpus-paul - Did Paul know Peter's travel locations?

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "David Inglis" <david AT colonialcommerce.com>
  • To: corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Did Paul know Peter's travel locations?
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 16:36:30 -0400

I used to believe that Rom 15:20 "And in this way I desire to preach where
Christ has not been named, so as not to build on another person's
foundation" indicated that, so far as Paul knew, no-one had previously
evangelized in Rome. However, I now realise that Rom 15:19-24 taken
together indicate exactly the opposite.

I had previously read 15:20 as indicating that Paul didn't want to tread
on someone else's toes. However, 15:20-21 together can be read to suggest
that he would have been doing exactly that if he had gone to Rome any
earlier, because someone else was there before him. 15:23 suggests that
his work in other areas is done, and it is now OK for him to simply visit
on his way to Spain.

Given that various church fathers place Peter in Rome prior to Paul going
there, I believe that Rom 15:20-21 indicate that Paul knew either that
Peter was in Rome, or at least had previously been to Rome. This ties in
with the remarks in 1 Cor 1:12, 3:22, and 9:5, all of which provide clear
evidence that Peter had travelled at least as far as Corinth, and that
Paul knew this.

I further believe that the list of places in 1 Pet 1:1 " (in Pontus,
Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia)" give us the clue to
understanding Acts 16:6-7 "They went through the region of Phrygia and
Galatia, having been prevented by the Holy Spirit from speaking the
message in Asia. When they came to Mysia, they attempted to go into
Bithynia, but the Spirit of Jesus did not allow them to..."

Depending on how you read this, either Paul knew that Peter had already
been here before him (and didn't want to interfere with his ministry), or
the Holy Spirit guided Paul away from these areas for the same reason.
Note that Peter and Paul could have evangelized in different parts of
Galatia, so I don't see that having Galatia mentioned in both lists of
places as being a problem.

Anyone care to comment on whether they think that Paul did know where
Peter had been, and that this is the reason that Paul 'missed' some
otherwise inexplicable places?

Dave Inglis
david AT colonialcommerce.com
3538 O'Connor Drive