corpus-paul - Re: Did Paul know Peter's travel locations?

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Bob MacDonald <bobmacdonald AT shaw.ca>
  • To: 'Corpus-paul' <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Did Paul know Peter's travel locations?
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 07:48:58 -0700

I am glad Mark has raised his interpretation of the issue of Paul's
apostolic place in Rome.
>>I understand Paul to be referring in this comment to Jerusalem, where he
has not been building, and where Jesus was named Christ, and the 12 apostles
appointed. Instead, he travels "from Jerusalem to...,"<<

Mark also makes sense of the Acts pattern in Paul - that he preaches to Jew
first and then gentile. The mission to the gentiles had to have the Jewish
foundation - for mutual acceptance of gentile and Jew and to prevent schism
or exclusivism.

The letter to Rome is a "bold reminder" (15:15) where Paul hopes to have
"fruit among them also" (1:13). This hardly sounds like deference to
another's territory.

on another point: I don't think the names Apollos, Peter, Paul, and Christ
are used as names of actual parties. I think Paul is using these names in
order not to shame the true leaders - local Corinthians who have not yet
understood the unity of the gospel. All it tells us as to location or travel
plans is that people knew who these people were.

Bob

mailto::BobMacDonald AT shaw.ca
+ + + Victoria, B.C., Canada + + +

Catch the foxes for us,