corpus-paul - Re: Did Paul know Peter's travel locations?

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: rfellows AT intergate.ca
  • To: <corpus-paul AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Did Paul know Peter's travel locations?
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 09:23:08 -0700

Dave,

I think it is very likely that some of the Christians in Rome traced their
faith to Peter. He may have visited Rome when he went to 'another place'
(Acts 12:17). The fact that Luke does not specifically mention that the
'another place' is Rome, may be because he did not want to have to embark on
an explanation of how Peter's converts had been involved in disturbances in
Rome. In any case, some from Rome and elsewhere heard Peter's preaching in
Jerusalem (Acts 2:10,14), and "those who welcomed his message were baptized,
and that day about three thousand persons were added" (Acts 2:41 NRSV). So it
is very plausible that Peter was, in a sense, the apostle to Rome, whether he
visited them in person or not. He may have communicated with them by letter,
for example to tell them not to call anyone unclean, following his vision.

The Corinthians' knowledge of Cephas, therefore probably originated with
those Roman Christian Jews who moved to Corinth from Rome after having been
expelled by Claudius in 49. Prisca and Aquila were not the only believers to
move from Rome to Corinth. Some of the others opposed Paul, and were behind
the problems that Paul addresses in 1 & 2 Corinthians (see my last e-mail). I
see no reason to assume that Peter ever went to Corinth. It is an unnecessary
assumption.

Best wishes,

Richard Fellows
Winnipeg