corpus-paul - Re: Did Paul know Peter's travel locations?

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Kym Smith" <khs AT picknowl.com.au>
  • To: corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Did Paul know Peter's travel locations?
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 02:30:38 -0400

Dear Dave,

I know that it can probably only ever speculative, but I have produced a
reconstruction of Peter’s travels and ministry. I have included it as an
appendix in my book ‘Redating the Revelation and…’ – partly because there
seemed nowhere else to put it, partly because it had to deal with what I
believe was Peter’s involvement with the Revelation (and, consequently,
with Paul).

Essentially it shows a warm relationship between the apostles and that
they were generally aware of each other’s whereabouts and in reasonably
regular contact/correspondence. They were, after all, the apostles of the
gospel of grace. Earlier on this list I mentioned the Roman tradition that
Peter spent time in Rome, on and off, over a period of 25 years. If that
is so – and allowing that Peter died in 64, that would put Peter’s first
visit to Rome around 39. The accounts of Peter’s movements in Acts 1 –
11:18 may have all happened in the first year or two of the Church’s
existence; in 12:1ff we have jumped to 44AD. Given that there was anything
from 20 – 60,000 Jews living in Rome, it is only sensible that an apostle
would have capitalised on the contact made with those who came from Rome
and were converted at Pentecost (Acts 2:10). Even without that contact it
made sense for someone to go to Rome to work among such a high proportion
of Jews. The three major centres of Judaism outside of Judea were Babylon,
Egypt and Rome.

I suspect that the first stirrings of the Roman authorities against the
Jews in 41 when Claudius forbade them from meeting may have been because
of the impact of the gospel there. Perhaps Peter had already been there
and returned at that time to Judea.

In 44, when Peter escaped Herod’s plans for him, he went to ‘another
place’; there can be little doubt that by the time he wrote it Luke would
have known where he went. I suspect it was back to Rome. (Luke had his own
reasons for not naming the place but it was, I think, mainly to protect
the Christians there who would have been seen as followers of Peter who
had since been executed in that city). Now his preaching aggravated his
countrymen so much that their rioting brought about the expulsion of Jews
from Rome in 49 (Acts 18:2). Peter, being the main instigator, probably
left for Jerusalem in 48 and was there for the Council of Jerusalem (Acts
15) in early 49. Following the council, and unable to return to Rome,
Peter sought new regions and, after discussions with Paul (following the
council), decided to go to the regions his fellow apostle had not yet
reached in northern Asia Minor (1 Pet 1:1).

This new mission was to be much more Gentile orientated and the correction
he received (and received gladly) on his way to the territories of Pontus
(Gal 2:11f) was necessary to reshape his thinking. (Up until now his work,
even in Rome, had been largely restricted to the Jews).

In 54 Claudius died and Peter returned to Rome via Asia (probably dropping
in on Paul) and Corinth. His short stay in Corinth in early 55 attracted
some who were discontent with Paul and this necessitated Paul’s letter to
address that issue (1 Cor 1:10f).

After his experience in Asia Minor, Peter’s mission in Rome now included a
greater emphasis on the gentile population there. This created new
problems and, in a visit to Paul in Corinth in 57, he asked the apostle to
the Gentiles to write to Rome to help them to understand that the gospel
was for Jews and Gentiles alike. This Paul did, writing his letter to the
Romans.

When Paul eventually reached Rome I think he and Peter would have enjoyed
considerable ministry together.

There is more that has to do with the period following Paul’s (first)
Roman imprisonment but, as I said, it is largely speculative. If any of
you want a copy of my appendix on the travels of Peter I would be happy to
forward that to you as an attachment, but please request it off list.

Sincerely,

Kym Smith
Adelaide
South Australia