corpus-paul - Re: textbook recommendations

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Sorin & Simona Sabou <sssabou AT deuroconsult.ro>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: textbook recommendations
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 22:47:48 +0100

"Jeffrey B. Gibson" wrote:

> It looks like I'll be teaching an introductory course on Paul in the
> Autumn. I have used Roetzel in the past, but am not entirely happy with
> it. So I'm wondering what List Members who teach into Paul courses use.
> I am thinking of using _Making Sense of Paul_ by Virginia Wiles. But I
> also need something like Roetzel -- that is to say, a book which
> discusses each of the epistles.
>
> So suggestions please!
>
> Yours,
>
> Jeffrey Gibson
> --
> Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)
> 7423 N. Sheridan Road #2A
> Chicago, Illinois 60626
> e-mail jgibson000 AT home.com

In my classes on Paul I used B. Whitherington: 'Paul's Narrative Thought
World' because of the 'story' role in shaping the whole thing, and for
the work with the letters I found helpful Jurgen Becker: 'Paul the
Apostle of Gentiles'. But the main outlook was offered by the
J.M.O'Connor who says that history is the proper background for Paul's
theology; so also I used his book 'Paul, A Critical Life'.

Sorin Sabou, PhD
First Baptist Church Brasov, Romania
Bucharest Baptist Theological Seminary