corpus-paul - Re: textbook recommendations

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Edgar Krentz <ekrentz AT lstc.edu>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: textbook recommendations
  • Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 10:04:02 -0500

At 9:39 AM -0500 6/2/01, Jeffrey B. Gibson wrote:
It looks like I'll be teaching an introductory course on Paul in the
Autumn. I have used Roetzel in the past, but am not entirely happy with
it. So I'm wondering what List Members who teach into Paul courses use.
I am thinking of using _Making Sense of Paul_ by Virginia Wiles. But I
also need something like Roetzel -- that is to say, a book which
discusses each of the epistles.

So suggestions please!

Yours,

Jeffrey Gibson

Jeff, I use Roetzel. You did not say why you were dissatisfied.

If it is not conservative enough, try Lee M. McDonald and Stanley E. Porter. Early Christianity and its Sacred Literature (Hendrickson, 2000).

Or try Bart Ehman's Intro to the NT (Oxford).
Edgar Krentz
Christ Seminary--Seminex Professor of New Testament, Emeritus
Lutheran School of Theology at Chicago
1100 East 55th Street, Chicago, IL 60615
Tel: 773-256-0773; home phone 773-947-8105
e-mail: ekrentz AT lstc.edu
home e-mail: ekrentz AT winstarmail.com
GERASKO D' AEI POLLA DIDASKOMENOS
"I grow old, constantly learning many things." [Solon of Athens]