corpus-paul - Re: textbook recommendations

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Edgar Krentz <ekrentz AT lstc.edu>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: textbook recommendations
  • Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 10:39:51 -0500

At 10:31 AM -0500 6/4/01, Jeffrey B. Gibson wrote:
Edgar Krentz wrote:

Jeff, I use Roetzel. You did not say why you were dissatisfied.

I don't like the idea that he perpetuates what I regard as the "myth" that the age in
which Paul lived and moved and had his being was an age of anxiety. To my eyes, this
sets up and/or bolsters the equally questionable idea that Paul's Gospel was primarily
intent to deal with "anxiety" and just perpetuates what Sanders calls the Lutheran
stereotype of Paul and his message, let alone what "justification" is all about.

Perhaps I'm being too harsh on Roetzel?

Yours,

Jeffrey

--
Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)
7423 N. Sheridan Road #2A

Why not just use the opportunity to disagree with your textbook and tell the students why! And give them an alternative reading;.that might make for better educatio, teaching students how to be critical of what they read!. If you look for a textbook with which you agree 100% you are doomed to failure.

Edgar Krentz
Christ Seminary--Seminex Professor of New Testament, Emeritus
Lutheran School of Theology at Chicago
1100 East 55th Street, Chicago, IL 60615
Tel: 773-256-0773; home phone 773-947-8105
e-mail: ekrentz AT lstc.edu
home e-mail: ekrentz AT winstarmail.com
GERASKO D' AEI POLLA DIDASKOMENOS
"I grow old, constantly learning many things." [Solon of Athens]