corpus-paul - Re: textbook recommendations

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Jeffrey B. Gibson" <jgibson000 AT home.com>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: textbook recommendations
  • Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2001 10:49:52 -0500

Edgar Krentz wrote:

> At 10:31 AM -0500 6/4/01, Jeffrey B. Gibson wrote:
> >Edgar Krentz wrote:
> > >
> >> Jeff, I use Roetzel. You did not say why you were dissatisfied.
> >>

> >I don't like the idea that he perpetuates what I regard as the
> >"myth" that the age in
> >which Paul lived and moved and had his being was an age of anxiety.
> >To my eyes, this
> >sets up and/or bolsters the equally questionable idea that Paul's
> >Gospel was primarily
> >intent to deal with "anxiety" and just perpetuates what Sanders
> >calls the Lutheran
> >stereotype of Paul and his message, let alone what "justification"
> >is all about.
> >
> >Perhaps I'm being too harsh on Roetzel?
> >
> >Yours,
> >
> >Jeffrey
> >
> >--
> >Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)
> >7423 N. Sheridan Road #2A
> >Chicago, Illinois 60626
> >e-mail jgibson000 AT home.com
>
> Why not just use the opportunity to disagree with your textbook and
> tell the students why! And give them an alternative reading;.that
> might make for better educatio, teaching students how to be critical
> of what they read!.

Well, that's what I have done. And I've seen that as a result of doing this
some
students have thrown the baby out with the bath water, reasoning that if
Roestzel is
wrong here, perhaps he's wrong in lots of other places too. But I guess it's
my job to
state what I agree with (and why) as much as it is to note where I disagree.

> If you look for a textbook with which you agree
> 100% you are doomed to failure.

Wise words. Thanks.

Yours,

Jeffrey