corpus-paul - Re: textbook recommendations

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Jeffrey B. Gibson" <jgibson000 AT home.com>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: textbook recommendations
  • Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2001 10:31:28 -0500

Edgar Krentz wrote:

> At 9:39 AM -0500 6/2/01, Jeffrey B. Gibson wrote:
> >It looks like I'll be teaching an introductory course on Paul in the
> >Autumn. I have used Roetzel in the past, but am not entirely happy with
> >it. So I'm wondering what List Members who teach into Paul courses use.
> >I am thinking of using _Making Sense of Paul_ by Virginia Wiles. But I
> >also need something like Roetzel -- that is to say, a book which
> >discusses each of the epistles.
> >
> >So suggestions please!
> >
> >Yours,
> >
> >Jeffrey Gibson
>
> Jeff, I use Roetzel. You did not say why you were dissatisfied.

I don't like the idea that he perpetuates what I regard as the "myth" that
the age in
which Paul lived and moved and had his being was an age of anxiety. To my
eyes, this
sets up and/or bolsters the equally questionable idea that Paul's Gospel was
primarily
intent to deal with "anxiety" and just perpetuates what Sanders calls the
Lutheran
stereotype of Paul and his message, let alone what "justification" is all
about.

Perhaps I'm being too harsh on Roetzel?

Yours,

Jeffrey