cc-sampling - [cc-sampling] More name

cc-sampling AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of the Creative Commons Sampling license (or license option)

  • From: Chris Grigg <chris AT grigg.org>
  • To: cc-sampling AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [cc-sampling] More name
  • Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 18:57:09 -0700

OK, so I just looked at the CC For-Dummies cartoon (http://creativecommons.org/learn/licenses/comics1 etc.), and thought I should offer that it seems like what we're after, staying consistent with CC vocabulary (esp. "No Derivative Works"), seems more like "No Non-Transformative Derivative Works," or, to invert that into a shorter and positive construction, "Only Transformations OK," or "Transformations Only". Obviously those are awkward, but maybe we can find a more graceful way of saying the same thing?

"Transformations OK" is nicer, but doesn't say anything about the non-transformative cases. You need to retain both the meaning that transformative derivatives are OK, and that non-transformative derivatives aren't. Ideas...?

-- Chris G.