cc-sampling - RE: [cc-sampling] Nation of Copiers, or, what to name the license?

cc-sampling AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of the Creative Commons Sampling license (or license option)

  • From: "Kirkman, Catherine" <CKirkman AT wsgr.com>
  • To: "Glenn Otis Brown" <glenn AT creativecommons.org>, "Lisa Rein" <lisarein AT finetuning.com>
  • Cc: cc-sampling AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: RE: [cc-sampling] Nation of Copiers, or, what to name the license?
  • Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 16:26:31 -0700

To amplify, the full DW license would permit not only the DWs that exist
based on trivial changes, but also DWs such as translations, dramatizations,
fictionalizations, motion picture versions, etc. Where the line is that
causes a use to fall outside the scope of the sampling license grant is going
to be a matter for interpretation of the license. It is not crystal clear
because we all decided to draft it to permit future uses, which therefore
could not be nailed down definitively, rather than limit it to known
techniques such as sampling, which could be defined more precisely but would
not be flexible enough for future uses.