cc-sampling - [cc-sampling] Nation of Copiers, or, what to name the license?

cc-sampling AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of the Creative Commons Sampling license (or license option)

  • From: Cory Doctorow <cory AT eff.org>
  • To: cc-sampling AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [cc-sampling] Nation of Copiers, or, what to name the license?
  • Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 14:05:43 -0700

"creative re-use" and "artistic re-use" are ambiguous, because all of the existing licenses ALSO permit creative and artistic reuse. IOW, "Here is the 'Creative Re-Use License" and here is the "Attrib-Derivs-Commercial" license. How do they differ?"

For this reason I also like "creative re-use" or "artistic re-use", as to me these are suggestive of sampling and the other artistic techniques that are contemplated.

Cathy