cc-sampling - Re: [cc-sampling] More name

cc-sampling AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of the Creative Commons Sampling license (or license option)

  • From: Kevin Marks <cc AT mediagora.com>
  • To: cc-sampling AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-sampling] More name
  • Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 01:15:49 -0700

On Monday, September 15, 2003, at 09:41 PM, Chris Grigg wrote:

Of course, but looking at it from the perspective of the CC licensing framework -- a set of orthogonal options, each clearly defined -- the overall message of this license is way more complicated than just "transformations required".

I know I'm coming in at the end here, so I don't know the history of this, but this complexity is a concern. As the CC license accretes variations like this, the ability to use it deterministically fades, and the prospect of licence negotiation or potential litigation creeps back in.

...you could have -- or might need to have -- something more like this:

Require Attribution: Yes | No
Allow Commercial Use: Yes | No
Allow Advertising Use: Yes | No
Modifications of your work: Allowed | Require | No
Derivatives Must Share Alike: Yes | No

So one new choice, and one restructured choice, pulling Share Alike out into a separate Y/N option. In this scenario, the 'Sampling License' we've been discussing would be Yes, Yes, No, and Require; note that this way, Share Alike could be answered either way.

The definitions of 'partial', 'substantial', and 'highly transformative' are in effect deferred to future litigation; this license seems to be bringing 'moral rights' into the definition.