cc-sampling - RE: [cc-sampling] Nation of Copiers, or, what to name the license?

cc-sampling AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of the Creative Commons Sampling license (or license option)

  • From: "Kirkman, Catherine" <CKirkman AT wsgr.com>
  • To: "Glenn Otis Brown" <glenn AT creativecommons.org>, cc-sampling AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: RE: [cc-sampling] Nation of Copiers, or, what to name the license?
  • Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 13:55:41 -0700

As a lawyer, my expertise isn't in branding, but I would say I lean towards
"sampling license" because (1) it is easily understandable for people, so
they are less likely to misinterpret and think the license is for full
derivative rights, etc. and (2) the linchpin of the license is that it
permits re-creativity and transformation provided that sampling, collage,
mash-up or other comparable artistic techniques are employed.

On the other hand, if we want to adopt new terminology (due to the inherent
limitations of the term "sampling") then either re-create or transformation
would do it. My only concern is that people could interpret this as a
broader "derivative right" license if they don't look closely enough.

For this reason I also like "creative re-use" or "artistic re-use", as to me
these are suggestive of sampling and the other artistic techniques that are
contemplated.

Cathy